A building permit is required for the construction of a new building or accessory structure, changes to an existing structure that creates any size or structural change or involves extensive plumbing or electrical work, new roofs and siding, replacement driveways, pools, electric generators and more. Most building projects require a permit to ensure codes for safety and structural integrity are met. Homeowners can do many of their own construction projects. See “Project Information” below for list of projects that require permits. Avoid penalties and fines for work completed without a permit. Contact the Building Department at 815-675-2121 ext 207 if you have any questions or email Building & Zoning Officer Bob Walczak.
Any exterior remodeling or alterations to a residential building that changes more than 30% of the existing improvements may require a review by the Architectural Review Commission. Any non-residential construction activity also requires review by the Architectural Review Committee.
Preliminary Procedures for Obtaining a Building Permit:
- Determine whether a permit is necessary
- Check zoning regulations (i.e. setback, clearances, etc.)
- Check relevant village ordinances
- Have project approved by your homeowner’s association (if applicable)
- Determine if the project requires review by the Village’s Architectural Review Commission
**2020 – New inspection days and Building Department office hours are Monday, Wednesday & Friday from 7 a.m. – 3 p.m. (Plumbing Inspections are done Mondays – Fridays at 6:30 a.m. – 7 a.m or 5:45 p.m. – 6 p.m.)
- Application for Miscellaneous Projects
- Application for New Residential & Commercial/Industrial Construction
- Application for Swimming Pools
- Application of Lawn Sprinkler
- Application for Accessory Buildings & Garages that require Architectural Review
- Application for Additions/Alterations
- Application for Solar Energy Systems – see below
If you are planning to do any digging, call JULIE at 1-800-892-0123 at least 48 hours before you reach for your shovel. Your phone call to this toll free underground utility locating service can save utilities and their customers the cost of repairing damaged equipment, inconvenience and potentially hazardous situations.